The transportation of sea containers by road is ecologically unsound
Using current operating models, container lorries are almost always driving empty in one direction. This does not tally with the objectives set for modern logistics by various efficiency and environmental challenges. Promises don’t necessarily equate to actions, and there is often a discrepancy between the two.
Simec’s cargo exchange method can help improve the efficiency of transportation logistics by up to 50%. The environment will thank you!
We have developed a method whereby we enhance the transportation efficiency of sea container freight by up to 50%. Thanks to our cargo exchange method, import and export cargo are merged with normal domestic freight traffic. Cargo is transported by standard cargo lorries, supported by a driving pattern programme.
Using the container exchange method, containers remain in the harbour, with the only transportation they undergo being from port to port on ships. The cargo exchange method:
- Preparation of container cargo is started where the container cargo’s journey begins. The cargo is loaded onto a normal freight lorry.
- The freight lorry transports the cargo to the harbour.
- The freight lorry drives up to the terminal, where Simec’s loading equipment transfers the cargo from the lorry to the terminal, to await loading into the container.
- This same loading equipment collects imported cargo from the terminal’s storage area, and transfers it onto the lorry.
The cargo exchange method in pictures:
The whole process takes just a few minutes. Simec has accumulated three years of experience of the cargo exchange method. If this operating model were scaled for use throughout Finland, and to become a global operating model, significant environmental and efficiency improvements could be achieved.
Benefits of the cargo exchange method:
- Freight lorry travelling loaded; the container load factor is increased.
- Preparation of the cargo is easier through opening roofs and sides.
- Lashing is easier and the number of instances of transportation damage increase.
- Higher axle loads and longer combinations allow for more efficient logistics.
- The unloading of cargo is easier as the cargo can be emptied from the sides or through the roof with a bridge crane.
- Containers do not need to be adjusted for transportation by road, in terms of lashing, for example.
- Environmental and energy factors.
- The utilisation rate of the transportation fleet will improve, bringing financial benefits.
Questions about the cargo exchange method:
- Cargo insurance and customs clearance factors.
- Terminal infrastructure in the port (ready to use in many ports).
- Integrating the cargo exchange method into the logistics process.
- For commoditised cargo, we offer customers a so-called ‘green’ alternative.
We are seeking partners and application sites. Further information about the method and technology can be found on our website: www.simecsystems.com
or contact us here.